Thursday, March 30, 2006

In Anticipation of General Conference

In my case . . . it is with great anticipation that I await this weekend's General Conference. A great deal has transpired in my life since the last conference in October. Most significant was my Dad's death, in January of this year. Since that time it seems as though at every turn my faith has been tested and tried more than at anytime in my life since returning to the Church after a decade long absence. There is something about death, particularly of a close loved-one that bends and contorts faith almost to a breaking point. I look forward to feeling the soothing Spirit that General Conference can and does bring. I long for the spiritual rejuvenation my life so desperately needs at this time. Yet, 15 years ago, I wouldn't have given General Conference even two minutes of my self-important and selfish lifestyle. Seasons change . . . and I'm grateful they do.

I know many feel we always hear the same things over and over again each conference. And, maybe we do. Perhaps we continue to hear the same things because we don't learn or don't live the truths God imparts over and over again in each conference. But, in many of the talks I will undeniably feel a Spirit of Truth, of direction, of further light and knowledge. A Spirit gently prompting, pushing, and pointing to a path of better direction. Will I heed that Spirit? Will I enlarge my soul with the further truth, light and knowledge it wants to impart?

During this prelude to Easter, I can think of no better time for rededication and renewal leading to the celebration of Christ's Atonement and Resurrection. General Conference is the portal through which I hope to do some of that rededicating and renewing, with hope and faith in the efficacy and application of Christ's Atonement in my own life.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

For me, hearing "the same things over and over again" is sweet and comforting. The soothing peace, the flashes of light, the witnesses from the Spirit that come with the words of prophets can feel like rain in the wilderness.
Thanks for this post and I hope you find a measure of the peace you seek.

Friday, March 31, 2006 7:48:00 AM  
Blogger Eric Nielson said...

I share your anticipation. I wonder if my thinking and perceptions have changed since participating on the Blogernacle. The Ensign seems more interesting now, basic doctrines seem more powerful, etc. I wonder if I now have a new lens for looking at things.

Friday, March 31, 2006 8:56:00 AM  
Blogger Guy Murray said...

c jones: Thanks for your thoughts and description of the flashes of inspiriation the words of prophets can have in our lives. I like the comparison of their words to rain in the wilderness.

eric: That's an interesting observation. I think, at least for me, my perceptions and thinking about Church have changed since reading and posting in the bloggernacle. Not all of it is positive; but, over all I think it is more positive than not.

Friday, March 31, 2006 6:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home