Sunday, March 12, 2006

HBO's Big Love Big Night--My First Impressions

Well, I missed the east coast feed on HBO, so I'm watching the much later west coast feed. So far, it's pretty entertaining--meaning very Hollywood. I liked the scene as Bill is negotiating a business deal in a boardroom somewhere, with the Salt Lake Temple in the background. Again, if not real . . .certainly entertaining. But hey, I guess that there are a fair amount of deals consummated with the Salt Lake Temple in the background--at least in Salt Lake City.

For our "feminist" sisters, there was Barb's defiant moment of refusing Bill "demanding" that she put her check in the family account in the bank. There seems to be even a feminist twinge to Big Love.

"I think chastity takes courage." Nice line, as the teenagers sit at "Debs", what clearly looks like a take off of the old Dee's hamburger stands in the Salt Lake Valley.

The compound does look creepy though. That depiction is probably more realistic in a way than some other parts of the show. And, poor Margene home alone with all those kids while Bill, Barb, and Nicki spend time at the compound. Roman, with his what looks to be a 14 year old bride at the compound is also pretty creepy.

The Mormon lingo is down pretty good though, as with the line, are you in young womens, bee hives, laurels? Talking about Relief Society, and the standard Mormon topics certainly brings the Church ever closer into focus on the show.

The short little discussion with Barb and I think it was Rhonda, the young looking (14 or so) bride of Roman "The Prophet" brought some reality into focus. I don't follow the FLDS Church or their beliefs; but, from what I have read, this portrayal seems very realistic.

"They're not us, and we're not them." Bill's rationalization about their differences, referring to his polygamous practice and that of Roman back at the compound. I wonder if he's trying to convince himself, or what.

There's man's law, and there's God's law." Nice extortion line by Roman. I'm certain there will be some good future interaction there between the "prophet" and Bill in upcoming shows

"It's not because you asked---it's because I wanted to." Barb still defiant to the end in maintaining her independence both from Bill and the other two wives, does sign over her pay check. You go girl!

The Mormon Church officially banned polygamy in 1890. Well, at least that's what HBO says. What say you?

Hey . . .overall it was entertaining. I don't know if it has the same appeal as say Six Feet Under. But, there's enough I'll probably watch a few more shows to see where they take Big Love.

1 Comments:

Blogger Guy Murray said...

Hi Brian, I agree that most should be able to tell the difference; but, in reality, most probably won't. You'd be surprised how many people think Krakauer's Banner of Heaven is a legitmate history of LDS members, or of the Church.

I've often wanted to make the drive you did just to satisify my curiosity. But, alas I've been reading the FLDS'ers in the two cities are slowing heading out to Texas.

I agree for those who know the difference in reality, the show has very little to do with the Church--problem is so few people deal in reality, and make the Church connection regardless.

Thanks for stopping by . . . By the way, when are you going to do a post?

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 7:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home