Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Time

I thought that it was about time to write my first post, so that's exactly what I thought I would write about--time. We all hear expressions such as, "when I have time, I don't have time, when I get time, if I had more time",etc...None of us has any extra time, do we? Or, do we? I seem to have time to watch reruns of "The Practice" on TV, but not to do more meaningful activities. (I tell myself that watching some TV is OK because I need some relaxing time. I'm too tired to do any real thinking, anyway). I've told myself that I'm too tired to do any posts here, yet the truth is I'm scared that everyone will read them and then say, "that was a waste of time." (If so, I'll go back to reading someone else's posts and watching The Practice.) I suppose that fear might hold us back from doing things, and not always the availability of time. A while back I decided to face the old "set my priorities" battle once and for all. However, I learned that my discretionary time is, in fact, in flux and my priorities are easier to set than to carry out. My schedule, energy level, family needs, etc...are constantly changing, so my ability to stick to a strict schedule based on priorities is difficult--and that's OK. I believe that there are small changes that we can make (or uses of time in this case) that can pay big dividends. For instance, my 13 minute communute to work everyday used to be wasted time. I'd listen to talk radio or music. By simply using that time to listen to General Conference CDs instead, I've been amazed at how much more peaceful and spirtual my days (and thus, my life) has become. I wonder how many more small changes in the use of my time could greatly improve my life?

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric Nielson said...

I agree. I have time to go golfing about twice a week in the summer, but sometimes struggle to get all my HT assignment in.

Also my wife is about the least efficient person I know. She is such a perfectionist that it can take her like 3 hours to do the dishes. She spends so much time trying to do one thing perfectly that she can't get anything else done. Drives me crazy.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 9:29:00 AM  
Blogger Guy Murray said...

Hey Darrell, Nice post, and a good reminder. I listened to my iPod Book of Mormon on the way home last night from mediation . . .hopefully a better use of my time than listening to the traffic reports.

Thursday, December 29, 2005 11:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home